Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Kid Question...

One of the most interesting things about being young and married is the inevitable question:

"So when a you gonna have kids? "

It's not like I don't expect this question. T & I are young, healthy, and for the time being childless. In the African American tradition, we're once again, "bucking the trend." At the same time, I can't help but find this question to be a bit unnerving.

Then with a Federal District Attorney's relentlessness, you get the follow up question:

"Well...do you like kids?"

This ladies and gentleman, is when the wicket gets a bit sticky, because the entire tone of the conversation hinges on your answer to this question. In my opinion you have 4 options as far as an answer; each having their strengths and weaknesses.
  1. "For breakfast!" Atta boy! Answer a serious question with sarcasm. Especially when you're dealing with anyone older than you, with kids, you're asking for it with this answer.
  2. "Nope." Straight to the point, but one of two things will happen. You will either get the follow up "Why?" and if that's your answer get ready for your dancing shoes. The other reply you may receive is an uncomfortable, "...ok..." which to me means, Congratulations, you'll never be asked this question again, but you've alienated your curious questioner.
  3. "Yes." Which means you'll definitely be faced with the follow up, "When?" and if that's the case get ready to explain your entire family planning road map.
  4. "I love 'em!" Which could make your questioner even more uncomfortable when a full grown adult that doesn't work in a child based industry, answers with that level of zeal. Don't be surprised if the authorities visit your home for hostages.
My normal answer is "Yes...eventually." At this point the monologue about how rewarding and life-changing that rearing children are begins to unfurl. For once, I would love to receive credit for approaching procreation with such a fiscally responsible attitude. My wife and I are paying for a home for the next 30 years and a new vehicle for the next 6 years. The average cost of a child per month in my income bracket is $625 per month.

Now don't get me wrong! I'm not going to sit here and say that I'm going to wait until I completely pay everything off before choosing to procreate. What I am saying is that I wish to make sure that I am able to afford everything I need for this child. What I usually hear then is "You can never afford a child!"

Let's just say I'm saving up for a kid!

L8er.

No comments: