Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Szechuan Soul Sista...

As I told you earlier, I'm in the Financial Services Industry, but I've also picked up a second job, at a local mall. The mall is kinda where I got my start, so I'm never ashamed to go back to earn a little extra money. I work for a clothing outfitter with a very thick Eurasian fan base.

So I was working there this evening and I ran in to a very interesting Asian pair: a mother and her daughter. The mother had to be in her early 60s and her daughter into her early 30s. The daughter was making a purchase and I asked for her I.D. She handed me her driver's license, and her mother said, "You look like a FOB in that picture." The daughter said, "Yeah, that picture was taken a while ago. Turning to me, the daughter asked, "Do you know what a 'FOB' means?" I shrugged and told her no. She said, "A FOB means that I look like I'm Fresh Off the Boat."

I totaled her purchase and gave them the price. The Mother then said to me, "Well, since a lot of this stuff is so high-end, hows about a discount?" I tried to laugh it off, but this old bird was persistent. "Come on, I speak homeboy, how about a 'brudda-sista' discount?" Taken aback from that comment, I couldn't contain my laughter. "Come on! I know you have a 'brudda-sista' discount! I know we not brudda and sista, but hook me up!" My laughter continued. She then said, "Come on brudda, I'm T-pain's mudda. Hook me up!" I again cheerfully declined and at this point, her daughter was completely embarrassed. The mother said, "He laughing, it's OK!"

On one end, I could have been completely offended by her comment, but it's best never to take yourself too seriously. She was trying to get a rise out of me and inject a bit of levity, and for that, she'll forever have my respect. Just no discounts.

L8er.

No comments: